A Finish: Blue Jay

Here’s my Blue Jay quilt! I’d say it was my latest finish, but that’s not exactly true. It’s been a while since making a pictorial, since I made so many for the book. You may have seen my video timelapse of this, but it is now all finished and quilted!

I quilted feathers since that made the most sense.

I did something differently to all my other pictorial quilts – I added a layer of canvas between the backing and batting. It adds more expense to the process, however it makes it hang better and gives more weight. I’ll probably keep doing it. That was a Vanecea Greene tip by the way! P.S. I bought my big roll of Hobbs batting from her and I’d do it again…

STATS
Size – 33″ x 41″
Number of blocks – n/a
Time to make – About 18 hours all in
Fabric – Scraps and FQs from stash – I didn’t buy anything new for this quilt except the background (and I can’t remember what it is but I bought it from Sewing Sensation)
Binding Fabric – A 60 degree diamonds print that’s been in the stash for a while.
Backing Fabric
 – Half price clearance Riley Blake Le Creme stripes from My Sewing Room
Threads – No piecing, quilting mostly with Isacord in oyster and a green shade I didn’t keep track of the name of. Also a blue Wonderfil Polyfast.
Batting – Hobbs 80/20
Quilting- On point straight lines (marked) 1″ apart across the background, mostly feathers and spikes on the bird. Pebbles on the feet.

Tags: , , , , , ,