Pattern Hack : Adding a flap to secure cards on the Boon Wallet
I apologise for only making a video tutorial on this, I have another hack or two up my sleeve, and I promise to do a photo and text version of the tutorial only.
You will need the Boon Wallet by XOXO Lauren to make this, I’m just going to show you how I added a flap on the inside the secure the cards a bit better, using vinyl and a snap. Here we go!
So to summarise, this step comes before you attach the lining with all of the parts attached, to the exterior:
- You’re going to make a template out of card or sew in Peltex or whatever you have to hand. It will measure 1 1/2″ wide and 8″ long, with the corners rounded off. There will also be a centralised dot 1/2″ from the bottom of the curve.
- Use this template to draw out your shape on vinyl. Cut out 2 layers roughly.
- Topstitch the vinyl wrong sides together about 1/8″ from your marked line, missing off the short straight edge.
- Cut out along your marked line.
- Add the domed side of the snap to the vinyl flap, using the dot on the template for placement.
- Add the second half of the snap to the lining, 1 1/2″ from the bottom and centralised between the card holder pieces. Go through at least the first card holder to the inside of the card holder part, don’t fix it all the way through to the back of the lining so that you can still use the note holder section.
- Set the snaps properly with a setting tool, and then fasten the snap together. Align the short end with the top edge. You can trim if you need to and you can also choose to baste it in place close to the edge if you wish.
- Sew the exterior and lining together in accordance to the pattern.