The Great Canadian Fabric Destash, June 26th 2017
A little while ago- OK two years ago- Chelsie Rosner on Instagram prompted a hashtag for destashing fabrics just within Canada – #thegreatcanadianfabricdestash
This was in response to the general #thegreatfabricdestash which tended to be people in the US shipping only to people in the US, and so Canadian’s couldn’t buy all the great fabrics people were selling on the other side of the border. There was also a successful one in the UK by Emily Levey that still continues to be used to this day and I found it “enabling” when I lived over there.
Who doesn’t like a destash? It clears out some space for some new fabric if you have supplies stagnating on the shelf not being used, and one woman’s trash (of course, no fabric is trash) is another’s treasure.
So I have a proposal to make. I have some bear fabrics to destash (yep, now is the time for me to make that bear quilt since more and more prints keep coming out, and I have surplus fabrics) and I want to do it on Instagram, and I might be on the hunt for some new fabrics too. If we create an event around it, are you in? If we all post what we want to sell on the same day/week, we know when to look for bargains!
I’ve also put all of the details on Instagram along with the button shown above if you’re in and you want to reshare with your followers and grow this thing!
- The starting date to post your destash goods is Monday June 26th 2017. Canada Day week! Feel free to post after this date as the hashtag doesn’t expire. Hopefully we will get the most potential shoppers looking on day 1, however.
- Make sure you clearly put the price and size of the fabric you are selling in the description on the photo, and tag with #thegreatcanadianfabricdestash
- ISO (In search of) posts are OK as long as you make it really obvious you’re looking for something rather than selling it.
- If you are happy to sell to people in other countries, please say so and provide your shipping cost details as best you can.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY there’s a new rule – ask your buyers to comment “sold” (with a quantity if you have more than one of something, FQs for instance) and then message them for their Paypal details. Instagram have been suspending accounts with posts that encourage email addresses to be left, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Just in case you want to add text to your actual Instagram pics – adding sizes/reference numbers/”ISO” or anything else, I will be posting again tomorrow to show you how!
Lets make this a great virtual event! Are you in? Feel free to repost the button above/over on Instagram to let all your Canadian sewing friends know!