A finish! Chandelier Quilt

It seems I’m in quilting mode! Here is my latest finish: Chandelier.


The back is half of an eBay beige checked Next duvet cover, the quilting glorified straight line quilting because of tension issues yet again, and the design is for Popular Patchwork magazine- soon!

I cannot stress just how useful it is to have Bloc Loc rulers for this amount of trimming. Definite convert. Look at me, happily making HSTs! This was the first time I used a Kwik Klip for basting too. They seem a bit unnecessary and I wasn’t convinced ’til I tried one. They’re a good tool, not sure why they need three ridges where one would do though?

On Sunday a couple of weeks ago, I said to Alex that I didn’t feel like I’d done enough with my day. I hadn’t really sat down for longer than 15 minutes and yet I didn’t feel like I’d achieved enough before work the next day. He said “But you layered your quilt and that takes time.” He’s a keeper.

Size – 58″ x 80″
Number of blocks – Twenty “baubles”
Time to make – Piecing about 10-12 hours, quilting about half that.
Fabric – Chandelier by Studio M for Moda, a metallic range that is lovely. You can get two baubles out of each FQ. Also a biscuit coloured solid.
Backing Fabric – Half of a Next duvet cover
Binding Fabric – Riley Blake Postcards for Santa stripe
Threads – Coats Moon in off-white throughout piecing, Gutermann in shade 139 for the quilting plus a bit of gold metallic thread thrown in too.
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant.
Quilting- Straight lines with a touch of pebbles. I drew the first line where the different directions converge and then used a guide to echo quilt it.

Tags: , , , , , ,