A Finish: Hadley Doughnuts

My Hadley quilt plan became a large cushion. It just felt right not to make too many of these, and the fact I got to stash most of the fabrics again had absolutely nothing to do with it of course…


The background is Kona Natural I think, and it uses a mixture of techniques. Firstly, there is improv foundation piecing going on with the feature fabrics, appliquéd turned circles for the middles and the background is done with the reverse appliqué/ facings/ portholes technique to ensure no raw edges at all in this design, which is how I like it. I hate raw edges.


I made piping. It’s never my favourite thing to make so I put it off for a bit but it came together with no problems so I think I’m getting better at it. It’s also a Denyse Schmidt print but it’s a Chicopee one. I’m looking forward to Denyse’s New Bedford line to see if I like those just as much. I wasn’t too taken with the whole collection of any of Ansonia, Franklin or Shelburne Falls, but I have a few selected prints.


The background is just improv pieced from 5″ wide pieces of what was left over. I stuck a flap and metal zip in too.

Here’s the deets.

Size – 24″ square
Number of blocks – four
Time to make– about four hours?
Fabric – Hadley by Denyse Schmidt, Kona Natural
Backing Fabric – Hadley by Denyse Schmidt
Binding Fabric – A plaid from Chicopee by Denyse Schmidt
Threads – My amazing £3 cone of white poly from Boyes that has lasted three projects so far with no issues
Batting – 80/20 Soft and Elegant
Quilting- “organic” spiral, off-centre, starting in the middle of one of the doughnuts.


2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

This is my second finish this quarter (Q2) for the finish along which means I’ve achieved half.  I didn’t think I’d do that well to be honest! Gearing up for Q3 and one of the two project will roll over, there will be two- possibly three- re-entries and a new addition to the list. That’s not really a spoiler, it’s a predictable list!

Tags: , , , , ,